Introduction to WordPress Themes
WordPress Theme is a template of a website, which is used to design the site’s layout. There are literally thousands and thousands of themes you can freely download on wordPress.org Theme Repository. When you change a theme, the visitors will see the different layout of the website on the front-end.
What WordPress Themes Do?
- They provide the overall design or layout of your site.
- They display the contents where and how you want them to be displayed.
- They provide the font styling and colors design as well.
- Social medias like videos and images can be displayed anywhere.
- Make the content accessible via any devices i.e. responsive.
- Display widgets on any position.
What files are Mandatory while creating a Theme?
There are only two files that are required to create a WordPress Theme:
- index.php – the main template file
- style.css – the main style file
Themes vs Plugins
A theme and a plugin both supports the PHP language. However, they have different purpose.
- A Theme is used to control the display of the content to the front-end, whereas,
- A Plugin controls the behavior of the site.
If you wand to download WordPress themes, go to the WordPress.org Theme Directory. It is one of the safest and most popular places to download themes. Further, each theme is reviewed by the experts so that they meet the coding standard along with quality and security.
Free vs Paid WordPress Themes
Similar to WordPress Plugins, themes come with the free version as well as premium version. They both have upsides and downsides.
One of the advantages of premium themes is they are reliable and the the theme author gives you a guarantee if you have any bug. Further, they also come up with the standard design along with responsive features. They have unlimited features.
Whereas, free themes are of course free. They, most of the time, come up with limited features and you can’t get support when something goes wrong with the theme. You can, however, always reuse, redesign, or distribute as per the WordPress License.